Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Welcome to Buenos Aires!


Let me introduce you to the magnificient city of Buenos Aires: Imagine some mediterranen city, such as Florence or Sevilla, and bring it to South America, together with its fine architecture and charming atmosphere.


Let us break and demolish everything a little and repair it again. Now do exactly this multiple times and paint everything colorfully in the end.


Now add some flowers and some North American flavour in the form of skyscrapers


and chaotic traffic on vast avenues.


Of course, it's not all colonial buildings mixed with modern architecture, but also everything in between that makes Latin America so charming.


Now you know what the city looks like. let us fill it with life and atmosphere. As further ingredients, we add some beautiful women (and men) dancing tango argentino in the streets,


colorful and little chaotic street markets,


the crazy Boca Juniors footbal fans,


deeply faithful people (and the corresponding cathedrals and cemeteries),


and even more tango in the street cafes.


Now you have the picture set. That´s Buenos Aires, that´s where I currently am! What I am doing here? Well, just add some Mate tea to the picure you have in mind, additionally a lot of meat, and some cervezas :) No seriously, since I only spend four days here, I cannot only enjoy the night life and the food. My time in this great city is entirely filled out with sightseeing


and walking around all day to explore Buenos Aires from all different perspectives, for instance, from the pampas,


from the Rio de la Plata (apparently the largest river in the world, but they say the same about the fleuve St. Laurent...),


from some random street corners,


and from the wooden subways:


Buenos Aires is great starting place for my travel. My Castellano is better than I expected, although the pronounciation in the Rio de la Plata region is very strange, for example, "ll" and "y" are both pronounced as "sch" (German pronounciation). But I slowly adapt to it and learn a lot of vocabulary everyday. Let me show you some random street scenes that I discovered here:


Tango in the main shopping mile, the Calle Florida which is more or less the Rambla of Buenos Aires


Street children swimming in a fountain at the Plaza del Congresso


Another way too fancy cemetery for the rich and wealthy


The famous Caminito in La Boca, where Diego Maradonna and some other great soccer players are from... and the current team:


I am having a great time here so far. Tomorrow I will leave for Ushuaia. Thus my focus switches from metropolitian Buenos Aires to my actual goals in South America, the lonely and bizarre mountains of Tierra del Fuego and Patagonia. I am looking forward to that experience and the amazing scenery, but before let me enjoy Buenos Aires for one more day :)


Luego compadres,
Florian

No comments: